When it comes to storing firearms, there are two main options: gun cabinets and gun safes. Both have their pros and cons, so it’s important to choose the one that best suits your needs. This article breaks down exactly what a gun cabinet and gun safe are, the pros/cons, and how to choose what is best for you.
What is a Gun Cabinet?
A gun cabinet is a piece of furniture designed to store firearms. Cabinets can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, metal, and glass. They typically have one or more shelves for storing guns, ammunition, and other hunting accessories. Some gun cabinets also come with locks to keep children and unauthorized users out. If you are storing any guns or ammo, make sure to get one with a lock… as that is required as a responsible gun owner.
Gun Cabinet Pros
- Tend to have a lower cost than gun safes, depending on the features and materials
- Can be made of wood or metal and come with various designs to fit your style. Some are simple and clean, while others can be a true centerpiece
- Usually have glass doors so you can see your collection
- Typically gun cabinets have a keyed lock
- Additional shelving for ammunition and other items
Gun Cabinet Cons
- Guns could be damaged in a fire as gun cabinets are not fireproof
- May not hold as many guns as a safe, so plan carefully
- Generally not considered as secure as a gun safe
- Gun cabinets with glass can be more easily broken into. This can happen by either by someone in your home who could harm themselves or others. It also makes it easier for thieves
What is a Gun Safe?
A gun safe is a large, heavy-duty safe that is specifically designed to store firearms. Gun safes are usually made from steel and have thick walls and doors to protect your guns from fire and theft. Many gun safes also have additional features like climate control to protect your guns from moisture damage, and some even have biometric locks that only allow authorized users to access the safe.
Gun Safe Pros
- Gun cabinets tend to be more expensive than gun safes, more so based on their materials and capabilities
- Gun safes offer more protection than gun cabinets. Typically made of thick steel, they can be fireproof
- Usually have a combination lock or biometric capabilities
- Tend to hold more guns than cabinets
Gun Safe Cons
- Likely more expensive than gun cabinets
- Gun safes may be heavy and difficult to move
- It may take up more space than a gun cabinet, especially in their depth
Which to Choose: Gun Cabinets Versus Gun Safes
When it comes to choosing a gun cabinet or gun safe, there are a few things you need to consider.
First, think about how many guns you need to store. If you only have a few guns, a gun cabinet might be sufficient. However, if you have a large collection of guns, you might need a gun safe. Second, think about where you will be storing your gun cabinet or gun safe.
If you’re worried about theft, you might want to keep your guns in a locked gun safe that is bolted to the floor. However, if fire is your main concern, you might want to choose a gun safe with fire protection.
Safety is also a big decision, as you want to protect your loved ones from accidental harm. This is where a gun safe shines due to its tendency to have stronger locks and access restrictions.
Finally, consider your budget. Depending on the features of both a gun cabinet or safe, you could be spending a large amount of money. Try to find the best fit for your budget, starting with safety (protection for those in the home), security (anti-theft) then smart (which features does it have and design in the case of gun cabinets).
Choosing a Gun Cabinet Over a Gun Safe
Gun cabinets are less expensive than gun safes, but they offer less protection. Gun cabinets can be made of wood or metal, and usually have glass doors so that you can see your collection. They typically have a keyed lock, but this is not always the case. Please get one with a lock, as it only takes a moment for a life-changing accident to occur. Gun cabinets are not fireproof, so if there is a fire in your home, your guns could be damaged or destroyed.
Choosing a Gun Safe Over a Gun Cabinet
Gun safes are more expensive than gun cabinets, but they offer more protection. Gun safes are made of steel and are fireproof. They usually have a combination lock, but some models also have a keyed lock. Gun safes typically hold more guns than gun cabinets, so they are a good option if you have a large collection.
Collection Size and Budget Considerations
When choosing between a gun cabinet and gun safe, consider your budget, the size of your gun collection, and the level of protection you need. If you have a small collection and are on a budget, a gun cabinet may be a good option. If you have a large collection or are concerned about fire safety, a gun safe may be a better choice. In all instances, make sure they are lockable so children and others who could harm themselves cannot access the firearms stored within.
Choosing a gun cabinet or a gun safe really comes down the features of both. Now that you can clearly see the differences, do you want more of a furniture piece or traditional safe? In all cases, you need to ensure that both options are lockable and kept safe from those who could harm themselves or others… while making it harder for thieves.